January 23, 2014

Content

It is amazing how quickly one can become caught up in the antics and pullings of consumerism. 

Ok, ok. *How quickly I become caught up in the antics and pullings of consumerism. 

"If I just had...." You can fill in the blank. 

I have never had a lot of money, but working as a nurse for a few years certainly gave me a taste of what it would be like living a carefree and American dream life. 

Work, work, (be miserable for a few days) then play, play, travel, travel. 

I didn't want to get sucked into that lifestyle, and there were conscious decisions that I made when I got my first "real" job. Even still, it is easy to fall into a lifestyle of discontentment. 

Here in Ireland, my sheets do not match my pillow. If in my apartment in FL this were the case, I would have gone to Target to buy a cute new set. It sounds really silly, but it is an example of how trained my brain is to think that I have to have things. Things. That's all this stuff is. Jesus is offering more. Be content with what you have, because you have Me, and that's all we really need. 


Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for He said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you". 

Hebrews 13:5

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I needed to read this. It's a comforting reminder. It is also very difficult to retrain my very Americanized habits...

sarah said...

Love this thought! I agree we as Americans, are crazy about things. Unfortunately I'm one of them. Trying to work on this in my life because I know that things don't bring anyTHING except emptiness in the end.