I like the people I will be working with. Emmeline and William are part of our team and will especially help us with the depression recovery program. She is a psychiatrist from Haiti that speaks at least four languages. Her husband William is a tailor from Jamaica. William, as it turns out, probably likes singing than he does sewing. He even has his own website, and here is a sample of one of his songs. At church he introduced himself to me as William Shakespeare. At supper he said to just call him Willie Nelson. It also turns out that that happens to be their last name. The Paris family is a powerhouse of big ideas. Looks like the health ministry at church is going to turn into a vegetarian restaurant.
I have felt pretty at home here. As much as home as one can be in a place that is not one's home. The Paris' have really gone above and beyond the call of duty in making sure that I have everything that I might ever need. They also like to play the game Acquire. To my amazement, I nearly won last night.
The house hunt is more of a hunt than I wish it was. If I was willing to pay $100-200 more/month I would be able to choose from a rainbow selection of glittering homes. But alas, I want a perfect house for the price of a junk house. All things are possible, right? Meanwhile, my car is still packed. Oh, on a funny note- I found some apartments in my price range, but they said that since I am a nurse that most likely I make too much money to live there. Ha! Apparently they only let people live there if they make a certain amount of money or less. She was quick to add that they weren't "low-income housing... just transition housing".
I am hoping for an interview soon for a part time job. Didn't do so hot on my arrhythmia test at the hospital today, but did great on the other three tests. They said to study up and I could come and take the cardiac one until I got it right.
I don't know what else to tell you except that people grow kumquats in their front yards and that I really like going to the beach and seeing dolphins.
6 comments:
Good work, Emily! It's hard to start in a new place. I hope you find the perfect little spot to set up house :)
I had to laugh at some of your comments:
"Looks like the health ministry at church is going to turn into a vegetarian restaurant."
I'm telling you, those Paris brothers won't stop until they get their restaurant. And when they do, it's going to be pretty amazing. I remember their restaurant talks back at Southern. :)
I miss you Emily! And I loved reading all the randomness that has been your first week. It sounds like life is bursting with potentialities at the moment, and I'm really excited for you and all the great things God's going to accomplish through you this year.
I hope that you will find a house soon to make into a temporary home :)
YAY for an update!! Praying for you..and your apartment search:) Miss you already. Hope to get down there again soon...
Your brother gave me an update at the garden last Sunday, but it was not near as comprehensive. Praying that God will continue to work out details. Miss you lots.
kumquats!! you should go lighthouse hopping and check out the forts! glad you enjoying the sunshine state :-)
Apartment hunting can be a real challenge. I am praying for you! Glad you are adjusting well though. :)
Post a Comment