September 10, 2009

Wal-Mart Romancing

As much as I'd like to not admit it, being more than 20 years old puts one at higher risk of being accused of being in the "marrying age". Unfortunately for me, this unfriendly reality hit me on the juice aisle at Wal-Mart. On my 21 birthday.

"Excuse me, Ma'm", a upper-twenties man with a Georgian accent drawled as he tried to get my attention. "I turned around to see him trying to decide between twenty-five flavors of Gatorade. He continued on, "Are you single?"

I wanted to hide, but was in too much shock.

"Am I what?" I responded outloud in utter disbelief. I kept my cool and hoped I looked less than charming.

"Single", he responded matter of factly.

"Ohhh.... Why do you ask?" I am sure this was not the best response on my part. But I decided to cut the chase and just get to the point.

"Well..." he stumbled for a second, "I...I.. I have a friend that I think would be interested."

Right. Wish I could have believed that one. He seemed as if he wanted me to respond. And I wanted to move quickly away from the juice aisle and from the wedding aisle.

"I am friends with guys..." I started to say, but didn't know where I was going with that thought and he interrupted me anyhow. "Oh- so you mean you have a man?"

Oh dear.

I didn't want to lie. I am totally single. I don't have a man. But I didn't want him!

"Well, I am not looking for anyone right now." That seemed to appease him enough and he went towards the boxed juice area and I headed south five aisles and hoped I wouldn't pass his shopping cart again.

7 comments:

Miss Jehle said...

Haha. Grocery stores seem to be great places to meet...interesting guys.

Elisa said...

Well, hey. He was shopping for gatorade- was he fit?

Jessie said...

LOL:) That is too funny!!! Maybe he'll have better luck in a different aisle...

Andrea said...

I can totally see your face during that exchange. So funny! But that is incredibly awkward--I think you handled it well. Funny how I that bride last Sunday reminded me of you...maybe your time is soon...these are all little signs... :)

The original blog of the Invincible Giant Peach said...

I think you need to read Hebrews 13:2 again. How do you know? Maybe he was sent from God.

Christy Joy said...

oh timothy, you make me laugh.

And this, my dear emily, is an awesome story! Especially since it happened on your 21st birthday. lol :)

Carlos Cirilo said...

I don't care you is...that's funny right there! LoL