
I tested the response discovered by Walter Cannon, the fight/flight response. Apparently, my body can do amazing things when in a potentially hazardous situation, such as encountering a skunk.
It all happened this morning on my daily 2 mile jog. I just rounded the bend in the road, and realized that I was a running straight toward a skunk and that a skunk was running straight toward me!
skunk. run. fast!
I am not sure who's heart was beating faster, mine or the skunk's. I did an "about face" that would make drill instructors proud and ran faster than the Oklahoma winds.
As I stood back and assessed the situation after my sprint, I smiled as I watched my foe, a bundle of black and white, bumble and bounce across the asparagus field and into my uncle's feed mill... oops:)
I started to run again, more aware of my surroundings. I noticed the scissor-tail flycatcher, the meadow larks singing on the fence posts and all the poison ivy growing along the dirt road.
Maybe I will make friends with the precious little skunk. I was happy to make his acquaintance and since we know each other now, maybe we can just smile at each other from a distance.
1 comment:
Wow, that is an exciting story! I'm so glad that the skunk and you are good friends now, and that you still have friends too. (that they haven't all been scared away b/c of the skunk!) :D I miss you so much! Finally got a blog, yay! Love you, girl!
Post a Comment