March 21, 2014

Bloom

"Bloom where you are planted."

It's almost too cliche for me to even want to say. It is something that would be on a bulletin board in a classroom, or maybe a pep talk for teenage girls.

And yet, there is so much in that statement that I actually like. It speaks to me.


Last week I took this picture while on a walk. From this photo, you'd think there would be a field of flowers with some sort of grand old manor in the background. In reality, these small flowers are in a giant flowerpot tub that serves as a roadblock in the back road of a nursing home facility. These flowers don't get a lot of glory or credit.

If I could personify these bachelor buttons, they would probably prefer to welcome admiring guests into a manicured English garden, or perhaps to bear the honor of being in a bouquet of a beautiful bride; not blocking roads in a back alley of a nursing home (all due respect to nursing homes, by the way). 

This evening as I was quickly scrolling through some of my pictures from that day, I stopped and looked at this picture for a few seconds longer... those blooms: reaching for the sun, full of life, full of vibrancy, full of beauty. 

I'll end with all the metaphors already! I was just thinking how my attitude and response to situations and circumstances will help determine my life projectory. I notice a few things about these flowers: 

  1. They are looking up.
  2. They get the sunshine and the rain: both make them stronger.
  3. Their existence brings joy to other people. 

Whether I am a surprising sunflower seed that started growing and blooming beautifully in the decomposing debris and grain in the back of Neighbor Calvin's old truck bed in Oklahoma (true story!), a lonely heather bush in the highlands of Scotland, or a prim and proper orchid on display in a botanical garden: I have the opportunity to bloom. 

If no one sees me blooming and applauds me beauty and sweet fragrace, will this affect my actions? 
If no one chooses me for the Best Flower Award, will this discourage me from being the best I can be? 

Point being? I want to be like a blooming flower: A blessing to others, without the applause. A beautiful bloom, but without the pride. Strong enough and mature enough to grow during the rainy seasons of life. And most importantly? To keep looking up. 


2 comments:

Kristin said...

I love this thought; it is a beautiful thought and philosophy :) I have something similar to this written in the back of my hymnal as a note from when Dr. Bietz once told a story about a flower that bloomed deep in the darkest part of a forest where no one could see it or enjoy its beauty. But it blossomed and brought beauty, if for no one else, for its Maker.

Heather said...

This was so beautifully written and expressed, Emily. I so appreciate the reminder. You mentioned a heather plant...it made even more wonderfully personal for me! And, btw, I remember seeing and laughing at the sunflower in the truck. :)