September 29, 2013

Camping


I went camping with the Pathfinders this weekend. Growing up, I had the mindset that no one was ever too young or old for Pathfinders. The first documented Pathfinder campout that I went on was when I was 2 weeks old. There is a picture of me sleepily drooped in one of my dad’s arms while he stood at attention and saluted the camera during a morning tent inspection. I intend to go camping even when I'm an old lady (and by old, I mean anything above 80 years). 

This will probably be the only time that we camp with our Pathfinder club this year. Ireland has tricky weather. Actually, the weather doesn’t pull any tricks on us. It’s actually quite predicable: cold and wet.

It was not too cold or too wet this weekend and the Pathfinders were troopers (as all Pathfinders should be). We made them use homemade latrines, didn’t let them use electronics, and even though we were in the backyard of a friend’s house, the house was off limits. We are cruel leaders. And they had more fun because of it. 

We went on a fantastic all-afternoon hike using our compasses (we only nearly got lost once). The food was fantastic, and the fireside company was great.

The only downside to the weekend is that we never had a chance to blow our glow in the dark bubbles. 

1 comment:

Katie Roddy said...

Sounds like so much fun to go camping with you. Miss those times, but I'm sure we will do it again. Glad to read about your many adventures. Love!