July 10, 2012

The 3 D's


I'm reading "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" Again. 

Some people think I'm a Mary. 
Others know that there is some Martha in me.

Martha was distracted and stressed... and she was serving and ministering to/for Jesus. How often is it easy to fall into this trap? I've got a full plate and often feel that I am neglecting responsibilities. So thankful for the encouragement in this book to keep my chin high and to turn to Jesus in my times of weariness or spiritual amnesia. 

Here are a few thoughts/excerpts from a chapter that I'm on discussing the "3 Deadly D's". 

1. Distraction
2. Discouragement 
3. Doubt

Satan has been using these tools for some time now... and they work. 

"Satan knows that when we're overly worried and bogged down by duties, chances are good our hearts will not hear the Savior's call to come. While distraction may not win the battle for our soul, getting our eyes off of what is important will certainly make us more vulnerable to attack." -Joanna Weaver

An excerpt from "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World"

5 Strategies for Fighting Discouragement 

1. Allow for rest stops. Discouragement is often our body's way of saying, "Stop! I need rest!"
 (Ex. 34:21)

2. Get a new point of view. Take a few steps back and ask God to help you see his perspective on your situation. Often what seems to be an impassable mountain in our eyes is only a steppingstone in His.
 (Isaiah 33:17)

3. Have patience. It's easy to get discouraged when things don't go the way you planned. But if you've committed your concerns to the Lord, you can be sure He is at work, even when you don't see His hand.
(Romans 8:28)

4. Mingle. Discouragement feeds off of isolation. Get out of the house! Its amazing how good, old-fashioned fellowship can lift our spirits and chase away the blues. 
(Psalm 133:1) 

5. Set the timer. Okay. So things aren't so good. Set the timer and allow 10 min. for a good cry. But when the buzzer sounds, I blow my nose, wipe my eyes, and surrender my situation to the Lord so I can move on.
(Eccl 3:4)

2 comments:

Heather said...

You must have written this blog specifically for me! Its just what I needed to hear. Thanks for sharing such good thoughts, friend.

Unknown said...

Hi Emily! Just was reading your blog and was really touched by this one. Thanks for sharing. It was a good thing for me today. :)
-Jenae