May 1, 2012

1,135 Miles and Lightyears Away...

You don't realize what you have until it's gone...or far away.

When I left the hospital yesterday, I immediately picked up my cell phone and pushed the speed dial to call Home. It said that it had been 22 hours since I had last talked to Home.

Time to call again.

When I lived at home, I wasn't homesick.

Besides the fountain of tears when my parents hugged me goodbye at Academy, I wasn't homesick. They were just 1 hour and 15 minutes away.

In college, I had my brother and sister. Then just my sister. Then my little brother and my sister. Not to mention, cousins galore. It was a piece of home.

Now the kitchen table that I am sitting at is precisely 1,135 miles away from the family table on the farm. Too far away. As my dad says, "the umbilical cord doesn't stretch that far..."

The funny thing is, I am o.k. with being 1,135 miles away from home. I am at peace with it. Coming to grips that this world is not my home has not been easy though. Realizing that I have a larger family than my large Fisher family has been a good thing too.

If this world is not my home... then I need to call Home more often. 
I need to prepare for our next reunion- Heaven! 
If my family is God's family- then I am surrounded. 

These are comforting thoughts to me.

So, brothers and sisters, until we meet again: be faithful until the end. It's o.k. to be homesick for those you love, but let it ever be a reminder of our our real Home.

Picture taken on the "Crooked Bridge" with my family near my Oklahoma home. :) 

3 comments:

Elisa said...

Oh, how I long for THAT Home. Together we will ALL be. Miss you and all the homes we have shared.

Heather said...

I was so encouraged by these encouraging words.

Jessie said...

It feels so strange to be so near TN, but to remember none of you guys live there anymore! So hope you can be near your family again sooner than later!!